I found a
box and inside
were
postcards from Europe
and a few
stray pictures of
vacations
that I just remember.
There I was
in polka dotted bikinis flailing floaties,
in front of
Ferris wheels, behind ice cream
cones (oh,
repetitious summer).
I found a
stray from
a small
Irish town named after
a football
player up north
near
Lehighton.
In the
snapshot , there was a prison
on a hill;
the name, I forget,
but I
remember trembling
as we
climbed up the steep walkway
and through
the gates.
The prison
was no longer active,
a
same-as-the-day-it-was-built
tourist attraction, but
neither then nor now could I understand
tourist attraction, but
neither then nor now could I understand
penitentiary
tours.
It looked something
like a
castle, all gray and towering.
I wondered
what types of people were
held there,
but I contented myself
with
thoughts of kings and queens
and royal
house parties to soothe
the chill on my neck.
the chill on my neck.
The tour
guide dressed in
street
clothes (no uniform for aesthetics sake)
showed us
some silvered cells
with the
cots unmade and cigarette
butts stubbed
into the floor. He repeated
some folks
believed the prison was
haunted, as
he moved us to the next cell
with a
scarecrow fixed on the bed and
two
hand prints on the wall. He said,
"This
gentleman here (I wanted to
shout out
that the scarecrow wasn't
real) was an
innocent man," and he
pointed to
the hand prints on the wall.
"He said,
right before he was hung,
he would
leave his mark on this place
if he was truly
innocent. Sure enough he did."
They
demonstrated the legacy
by applying
paint over the hand prints;
they did not disappear behind
they did not disappear behind
each green
stroke.
Sure enough,
I backed away.
We visited
the women's
pink
showering quarters.
It was dead bugs and rust,
soap rings and empty bottles.
It was dead bugs and rust,
soap rings and empty bottles.
“Charming,”
the guide sneered.
After more storytelling
and
stairwells
chained off, the
tour guide
said he was going to
show us the
dungeons.
He actually
called them the dungeons
and what we
saw were dungeons,
a basement
filled with dark
tunnels
without any bars and
man-made
holes in the ground.
There was no
light or window in any of those
rooms, just
the flickering of the
60-watt light bulb in the hallway center.
I imagined
men like lions
roaring from
the inside, tortured
and when I
stared hard enough into
one of those
holes, I swore I saw eyes blink back.
We went home
that night and I couldn't shake the shivers.
Grandmom was sleeping in my bed;
Grandmom was sleeping in my bed;
she said
Baby Jesus will take away my fears.
I’d never
used prayer for comfort,
reliant
always on guilt and want,
but the
words meant nothing more beyond memorization
and the
tunnels were now part of me.
In another
life, I have been a basement.
In another
time, I have been brighter.
Every year
we go back to see the St. Patrick's
Day parade
and the changing of the leaves.
On the hill,
a white figure hangs from a rope
next to a sign that says
"Happy
Halloween."next to a sign that says
No comments:
Post a Comment