Sunday, July 18, 2010

the white rabbit collection.

White Rabbit (circa 2006)

With a mouth like yours,
Baby, you could do some damage
‘Cause I've been running circles
Around you and your contemporaries
And I just can’t find a way to catch up.
I thought it was the way you said, “good morning,”
Or perhaps it was the “good night,”
But I chased you down and fell through some leaves
And I could’ve sworn I wasn’t too far behind.
And when I grabbed you by your coattails
I somehow thought that you were mine
And you laid me down in a place where
The stars were blanketed by the rooftops
Of which I stared.
And you said something about fitting
And finding a “missing piece,”
But I’m always confusing the corners and middles
And I just can’t seem to make ends meet.
I had your curls laced between my fingers
As we both hollered into the night,
And I know sometimes it’s the loudest of screams
That makes it so hard to hear after all.
But if you’ll listen closely, I’m still calling you
And that Irish heart in full speed,
While your footprints and my insecurities
Are now mere imprints in the snow.

White Rabbit: The Reprise (circa 2007)

I've been thinking in terms of Bukowski:
Sour bourbon and hard-boiled eggs,
Expletive, expletive, sex scene, etcetera,
Moleskine after Moleskine of spoiled letters
To a boy who compared me to a warden,
And I understand that Chuck lacked the sentiment
To admire a good chase.


down the rabbit hole again (revisiting white rabbit)

it's the blue that gets to me,
more clear than the moss i stare through.
after years of avoiding it,
i'm drowning in azure,
too ashamed to look away.
i am propelled back to your backseat,
where you asked, "can i taste you?"
and gently rocked my bones
until they ached to be cradled--
a swing set creaked on the outside
as i relinquished childhood,
and became a woman,
jigsawed, our hips pressed together
as if willed to be there,
locked into place,
and all it took were the wrong words to tear us apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment