Monday, April 3, 2017

That Night in Tennessee

That night in Tennessee
the coons scattered up the trees as our
headlights drew near,
the only light for miles to see
in the open field where we parked,
maybe someone's front yard.
He laid down a blanket under the sea
of stars and drew me near.

That night in Tennessee
the sky spread 'cross his shoulders
like a holy robe. I lied in awe of my king,
his dark winding roads,
the fervor at which he drank
the stars from my eyes there
in true night, reflecting the fluorescence of home.

I took seat upon his throne,
never so nude in the op'ness of night.
I was a flash of white light, a celestial sear
a burn into the memory of thirty years
of nights and mornings with but one star.

I wore his love like a locket
that night in Tennessee,
two hearts come whole
out of the dark of destiny road.

No comments:

Post a Comment